Monday, April 21, 2008

Chef Mommy

Why is cooking harder than I remember? When we first got married, I didn't work and I was a crafty and enthusiastic homemaker. All I ever wanted to do was be married, which I did at the age of 22. I cooked all kids of meals, had this great huge kitchen and it was so much fun. After I had Abby, we downsized into a tiny house. The kitchen was the size of my closet now. Bottles and baby dishes took up most of the counter space and the rest was eaten my our really old and really big microwave. So we just ate out...for every meal. Now, almost 4 years later, it's time to eat at home more. The money is better spent somewhere else and Reese just hasn't been cooperative. So, for the last few weeks I have been planning my weeks worth of meals and making the huge grocery list. Yesterday, I spent the whole nap time doing this, almost 2 hours. How frustrating is that? I guess I have been spoiled...I know I have.

On the bright side, we are spending more time at home and with the girls. Our clothes are fitting better and we have more money to spend on our business stuff and bills. I am finally enjoying my great kitchen, I have been organizing and cleaning it up. I might even decorate it soon. I really just didn't remember cooking being this hard. Yesterday, I made dinner and it was terrible. That's kind of funny, I think. It is something I used to make all the time and it was great. It hit the trash...no leftovers for us. I guess I have to start from scratch and get the hang of it again. Practice makes perfect, and I bet it's easier to get a recipe right when toddlers aren't screaming and hanging on your legs! Tonight on the menu, Chicken Florentine Panini. I found it in one of my annual Southern Living cookbooks and it won some lady a million bucks from Pillsbury a few years ago. I let you know how it went!

post signature

12 comments:

FabulousLee Fun Twin Tales said...

Good luck with the panini -- sounds yummy! Let me know if you want some easy recipes. Have you thought about using a crock pot? It makes dinner very easy!

Jeffcoat House said...

YUM! That sounds good!!! It probably is a bit harder b/c you went from cooking with no children to cooking with 2- BIG DIFFERENCE! And it IS a lot of work to plan, shop, and prepare those meals. I'm glad for you- especially b/c it's SO much more healthy- except when you use Paula Dean's recipes ;). I think you should post your menu too. Other than that, you're a great cook! You'll get the hang of it again soon!

Terri said...

That looks good - minus the spinach! I'll be cooking more things on the grill now that's it's warmer out. Chicken always is a hit at my house.

jenniedub said...

Hey,
good luck. If you need some ideas, let me know. I have some pretty good simple recipes! :)

The LaBouffs said...

That sounds delish! It's so easy to get OUT of the habit of cooking! Getting back into it and feeling comfortable again takes a little time. It'll be worth it though! Plus, you can teach the girls to cook and soon enough they can do all the cooking for you;)

Mari said...

That recipe looks good except for the spinach. We aren't big fans here! I have some freezer recipes on my recipe blog you might want to try out. There is a spaghetti casserole one that makes 2 pans - you can eat one and freeze the other for later. It's easy and kid and husband friendly!

Kim said...

Tonights' dinner sounds really yummy! However I can not dish out any advice on cooking, b/c i just dont like to do it. Never have and probably never will.

Kim said...

Tonights' dinner sounds really yummy! However I can not dish out any advice on cooking, b/c i just dont like to do it. Never have and probably never will.

Cheri said...

Yup- not spinach lovers here either.
I love cooking but it is alot harder when you've got kids to take care of at the same time.

Buffie said...

Yah!! Selfishly I am glad you are cooking more as I have someone to talk turkey with. You know I love to cook. We do the whole planning for 2 weeks in advance around here too; it saves TONS of money!!! You ARE doing a good thing!!! Hang in there..it is like riding a bike and don't worry, it won't be as hard the 2nd time around for it all to come together!

Lindsay said...

dude- sorry your dinner didn't work out..I have had some of those..especially when I am experimenting with making something healthier! Keep sharing recipies and links..I always need new ideas!!..I am not the best at cooking..maybe because all four of us eat different things..Andrew- meat and potatoes..Lindsay- veggie burgers and salad..ROman...mac n cheese..Jude- Breastmilk.. it gets complicated at dinner time around here ;-)

Dena said...

i love a panini - but i am super excited about sweet and sour chicken!