Monday, July 7, 2008

Our first ER visit

Our day at the lake started off well enough but just after lunch it went downhill from that when Reese stood on an ant hill. She started screaming and I threw her in the pool to get them off but consequently that is not the best way to do that because those suckers hold on and bite more! She started getting big whelps on her feet and I gave her a half a benedryl. But then she started getting hives everywhere so I gave her the rest and a cool bath. When she started looking really rough and one eye swelled almost shut, everyone insisted we go to the hospital. Buffie and Chris K. ushered us in the car found the hospital, which was 30 minutes away, and took care of everything. We've never had an emergency before so I was pretty much useless and Kane wasn't with us. The ER went okay, they took us pretty quickly and we had our own room, of which there were not many. She got two steroid shots, benedryl and oral steroids too. We ended up being there for three hours so they could monitor her progress and make sure her breathing was okay. She was a trooper and were Buffie and Chris who hung out in the waiting room all day instead of having fun with their families at the lake. I am so thankful for them and I was so impressed by Chris' take charge-ness...AND his lead foot! We got there quickly. Her bites are ichy and festering now and I am trying to give her the oral steroid twice a day but not much gets in...it is beyond yucky. We are headed to the Dr. today to discuss an epi pen or what to do next time. I also hope to sneak in our 18 month appointment while we are there, I am always late on those and it take months to get an appointment!

post signature

12 comments:

Megan said...

We had to go to the ER this weekend too! Yuck! Avery hasn't pooped for two weeks despite all kinds of meds and the doctor sent us there to get her flushed out. However, the ER WOULD NOT DO ANYTHING! He said to make an appointment with her pediatrician. I am going to fight the bill for sure. I'm glad she's ok! Did they determine if she has an actual allergy to them? Scary! I'm so glad you had some people there with you.

Mari said...

Poor Reese and poor you. That's really hard on Mom. Hope she feels better and you get something so it doesn't happen again.

Jeffcoat House said...

SCARY!! Those ants are evil! Glad she (and you) is ok!

The LaBouffs said...

OMgoodness! I'm surprised you didn't have to wait longer at the ER! This is usually a BIG weekend at the ER! I'm glad she is okay...poor thing!

Cheri said...

Oh poor Reese. That sounds so miserable.
I hope she starts feeling better soon.
Why do these things always happen when the husbands aren't around to help!

Melissa said...

oh my! I am SO happy everything went okay! I would be just like you, worried, hats off to your friends.
xxoo

Jennisa said...

Good grief.....Glad all is well! :) :)

Susie said...

Oh, no! I am sorry to hear that. Allergies are the pits, we know! Keep me updated on what the DR said.

Terri said...

Oh, poor Reese. That sounds absolutely awful. I would have thought the pool was a great idea too. Good thing for great friends who help out. Hope she's doing better!

Lindsay said...

ouch!So glad she is okay. I respond the same way as you in emergency type situations- like a deer in headlights.Glad you had some friends with you to help out!

Dena said...

My poor little sweet girl! that was oh so scary! she was pitiful!

you were a trooper!!! and praise God all was well!

davispictures said...

I don't know how those darn ants made it onto the Arc...what was Noah thinking?!?! Soooo glad Reeser's okay. And Mom too!