Thursday, July 2, 2009

A Makeover and a Fun Frock

Shameful isn't it?! My poor ironing board is totally embarrassing when friends come over to sew. Fixing/replacing it has been on my to do list for quite some time now. Yesterday, Kane took the girls to the pool for a little while and I decided to go for it and do something for me with my time! After all I had ALL night to sew for the girls and I have been sewing for other people all week. My "in box" is finally empty!...or at least it was yesterday.I totally went the easy way because it's a cheapy board from Wal-Mart. First I ironed some scrap fusible fleece right on top of the bunk cover. The original padding was very thin foam and it was worn out and had a few holes.I trimmed around the fleece and tried to iron down the sides a bit. Then I lay the fabric on top and cut the basic shape out. I tucked the raw edges of the fabric inside the old cover and stapled the edges at various intervals to just secure it a bit.
ET VOILA! A gorgeous and non-embarrassing (NO SEW!!!) ironing board make over. I love it...it made me want to sew....
So I made THIS! Two of them actually. This is Portabella Pixie's "Gracie" pattern. I just love how it turned out, the girls were so cute today in their new duds! I have been wanting to make this cute pattern for a while and I bought these fabrics specifically for the pattern, except for the polka dot. That was a last minute addition and it still needs a big funky button for the pocket. The PP Gracie pattern was very clear with beautiful pictures and illustrations. It is a pricey pattern, $16 but has sizes up to an 8 and has 4 styles included in the pattern. I am sure I will use this a lot and get my money's worth. I already have the fabric for this exact style in a primary color, first day of school dress. I think this is a great intermediate pattern, but I will say that a lot of the directions are stated in the introduction/general sewing directions at the beginning of the book. If a beginner were sewing this they may not remember to clip the curves or press the seams open, or may not even realize the need! These steps are left out of the actual directions for the dress. Aside from that, I loved making these and really had fun with the soft, funky material! I am so burnt out over pique...

post signature

5 comments:

Mari said...

The ironing board looks great! The dress is adorable!

Tommy, Erica, and Addie Kate said...

Love the dress! Too cute! I hope I remember to come look back on your site when Addie Kate is ready for these older patterns!

Melissa said...

I added you on my mom's favorites list last night to her blog. I showed her how to do it ;) She LOVED looking at your sewing! We must of spent an hour looking at it last night!!

xoxo
happy 4th!

Anonymous said...

I wish not concur on it. I over precise post. Particularly the appellation attracted me to review the intact story.

Anonymous said...

Amiable post and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you seeking your information.