Wednesday, October 14, 2009

A Contest...

My Favorite sewing store held a Fall fashion contest this month. I entered two entries...one in the smocked category and one in the not smocked category. The main fabric for the items had to be purchased from the shop and they were hung in the shop for a week for customers to vote on. For voting, you got 15% off one item. They plan to do it again for Christmas outfits. Deadline in November 16th...if you live in the area you should really participate. It was really fun and encouraged me to get projects done that might have taken forever...and then there's the prizes! Who doesn't love a gift certificate! $75 is the first prize and there are 2nd and 3rd places too!
For the smocked category this was my entry. I used Children's Corner "Amy" pattern, the smocking plate is called "Dapper Dan" from this Summer's issue of Sew Beautiful Magazine. Of course I had to add tutus and bows on the dogs. I call it "Balle-weenies." It won 1st place! How fun is that?! I was so excited to hear the news.

For the not smocked category, this was my entry. I used Children's Corner "Lillian" pattern and Embroidery Boutiques applique design. I wanted it to be halloween-y but with longevity. I'm thinking like "Charlottes Web." The web site shows the sample with Orange outlined legs but that makes it more spooky...so I used PINK! And...of course added a bow. Everything girly needs a bow for sure! This outfit also took first place! I am so proud of my dresses and can't wait for Abby to wear them.


post signature

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

omg, i'm blown away by your talent every time i see one of your projects. no wonder you won first place! congrats! those are so, so precious! everytime you have a post i tell myself i need to learn how to do that......instead of doing useless things like blogging or watching tv at night. i'm sure my project would look like a 3 y.o. put it together.

Elizabeth Mills said...

Oh my gosh! I love that dress!!. Wonder if they make that pattern for Springers?

Tommy, Erica, and Addie Kate said...

YAY!!! I'd have been disappointed if you hadn't won!!!! Great job! I remember the Dapper Dan smocking plate, but kind of crossed it off my list because it wasn't girly enough. Now, you've given me an idea! I wish I were that creative myself! Precious! Can't wait to see Abby in them! Oh, and we made AK a spider outfit too, but I think it's too Halloween-y. Maybe not... :o)

The Birds Nest said...

Go Leslie!! I actually had a chance to vote last time I was in Summerville...of course yours were my favs. Glad you won!!