Saturday, November 7, 2009

Save the Cows


Last year, I smocked this pink corduroy bishop using Creative Keepsake's "Country Time" smocking plate. My plan was to put bows on their heads and eyelashes, the plate has horns and tractors too. Well, I hated it...the corduroy pleats moired in an ugly way and I forgot to increase my thread count for the heavy fabric, so my stitches look sparse. I stuck it in a pile and there it sat. I had another one for Reese pleated and ready to smock and I deserted that one too. Well, a good sewing friend saw it and insisted I do something with it. Even though I thought it was ugly, it was still a lot of work and would be fine for playing in. So I cut if off to make a top and made these quick corduroy pants to go with it. I used my favorite Jillian pattern, which I love even more without the ruffle. The flare at the bottom of the pants is just too cut on my "skinny minnie." So even though I hate the smocking in this case, it looked super cute on Abby with minimal effort and cost.


post signature

6 comments:

Mari said...

It's cute, and I love the cows!

The Noy Maker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Noy Maker said...

You are SO talented! I drool every time I see one of your new creations! So....I want to take a sewing class here in Charlotte. What would be a good sewing machine for beginners? Any suggestions?

Tommy, Erica, and Addie Kate said...

I'm so glad you saved it! It's adorable! What's the name of the smocking plate? And who makes the Jillian pattern? We use britches and bloomers, and another one I don't remember the name of, and McKenna for pants, but I don't think any of them have a little flare. I'd love that! And Abby looks GORGEOUS in these pictures!

LeslieW. said...

Jessica, A good beginner machine is going to be a brother, Janome or Kenmore. Look for one with a " drop in bobbin." The other kind is really difficult, called a front loader I think. I know Walmart and Cosco have a brother for about 150, might be a good place to start.

LeslieW. said...

Erica,

Creative Keepsake's "Country Time" is the name of the plate. The Jillian is by Bonnie blue. It is a great pattern. It calls for split leg finish, but I made it a little longer and add a hem instead. Thanks so much! Happy Sewing.