Thursday, June 23, 2011

Recent projects



I have certainly renewed my sewing bug in the last few weeks, I'm even doing a little sewing for friends which gives me the opportunity to work on things I might not make otherwise. Here is a dress I made for Abby, I started it in April! I have been wanting to try Gingersnaps "Sundress and Jumper" pattern since last year, so I pulled out some pink poly pique from my stash and gave it a whirl. As with all Gingersnaps patterns, I found that getting the right dimensions and cutting it out were a real brain workout. But after I got that part out of the way, construction was too easy. I definitely will make this again but next time will use a fabric that is stiffer.

Although I love to smock poly cotton pique it is just very flimsy and looks a little sloppy. This smocking plate is one I have used before, Lou Anne Lamar's Anne's shells. It has lot's of shells and I just used the sand dollar obviously. It would be easy enough to wing it for an experienced smocker I think.




I added some cream ric rac to the straps and doubled up on my buttons by putting these little shell flowers on top of plain white ones. I try to avoid buying buttons at all costs because they are expensive. The flower buttons were a favor at sewing retreat last year. I have used them on several projects so far.

This popover style is Bonnie Blue's "Sydney." I bought it in the winter and as I haven't been sewing much I finally got around to sewing it for my niece Ansley. I think it is a great style for any baby who is hard to fit because really you could make different sizes for the bottom, as well as adjust the elastic size.

I love the back too. This pattern was exceptionally easy and I recommend it for any beginner seamstress. An experienced sewer could whip this up in an hour. It is sized up to a 3, I wish the top were bigger as it would also be cute with shorts. For a thin child it might work for a 4 or 5. It is a roomy style. The buttons I used on this I had leftover from another project. Normally I would want pink but these were available and the perfect shade of yellow.


More coming soon! Birdie has been working up a storm! :)
post signature