Monday, July 18, 2011

Happy Summer from The Wright Girls!


Family Dinner at Bowen's Island

We spent a week at the beach with my side of the family a few weeks ago. It was a wonderful, relaxing time. Here are some of the highlights...







The girls were in heaven with their cousin. It was tons of fun!




post signature

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Ruffle Bum Sun Suit


I made this for my niece...this may be it for a while but I wanted her to be able to wear it seeing that it is already JULY! Wow, school is just around the corner. I saw Staples stocking their school supplies this week. This is "Melodie's Mermaid Sunsuit" by Kari Me Away. I sure hope it fits...it is precious. She has red hair and I think this fabric is going to look great on her.

The pattern was great, it's very easy to follow. It took about 2.5 hours which isn't bad considering I roll hemmed the ruffles and I monogrammed it. The pattern includes a version that can be smocked. It called for wider ruffles with 1/2" hems on either side so I cut them narrower and used the serger instead. I also used my ruffle foot on my sewing machine to gather straight down the center instead of at the top of the ruffle. I really like how it turned out.

Friday, July 1, 2011

Sewing up a Storm


I have been sewing up a storm! Here is something I made for me. Because of the fabrics I had on hand, I decided to make a beach cover up. The pattern, which I found on youcanmakethis.com, requires 3 yards for the size small that I made. I did it with 2.5 though. This was the only cut I had to meet the bill and not have kiddie stuff on it. It will also go nicely with my zebra bikini. ;) I have the pattern in kids sizes too so they will definitely be getting one for Fall. I want to make one into a dress to run around town in. To do that I will remove the vents completely as they go up to my hip and probably taper in the waist a little bit.

It went together very nicely, in about 2 hours not including the printing, pattern assembly and cutting. The pattern is a pdf and several hundred pages long. I highly recommend printing the directions 2 to a page. They are very, very detailed. I would say that a beginner would be safe to take on this project. I kept thinking about sewing for dummies as I turned the many, many pages of directions! It runs true to size, this small said 4-6 and I found it perfect in the shoulders.

Here is a super fun project that I made for a friend. I had Abby model it for me because a hanger simply did not do it justice! I made a similar one in the fall for Abby out of corduroy at sewing camp. It went together much easier this time because I remember what I did wrong the first time and I always go a little slower and use a lot more pins when I am sewing for other people. This is a lillian and I redrafted the pattern according to directions from a blog I found. The directions are easy to follow. I roll hemmed the ruffles in aqua and used my serger for the ruffling too. I never have gotten the hang of it before but this time was a dream. I jotted down all of the settings so I can do it next time!!! As long as I had to set the serger up for roll hemming...


I made a few extra ruffles for this doll dress to match! How cute is that?! I seriously wanted to keep it for myself! I redrafted the lucy pattern in the doll clothes patterns that I have been using recently. It wasn't too bad on a tiny pattern. I mentioned before that the patterns ran small on our Target dolls so I tried them on and American girl doll that I had at Mom's house. They fit the same. So if you happen to come by "More Dolly's Wardrobe Play Clothes," definitely add at least 1.5'' to the Lucy and 2'' in width to the skirt. The blouse I made seemed fine.


post signature

Lucky Little Niece...


I got the urge to sew something quick yesterday and made a little bubble for Ansley. I made this jellyfish applique on a t shirt the other day and have been itching to do another one, he is so cute...actually I may put a bow on this and call him a she! This is the Children's Corner Taylor, it is so quick and easy. I had everything in my stash, including the lavender polka dotty piping....until I went to Sew 'n Sew today and saw the cute purple and lime buttons! They were .95 cents each but I just couldn't resist since the rest of the project was pretty much free! Anyone who think sewing is cheap...doesn't have the right notions and tools! LOL. :)


post signature