Thursday, March 21, 2013

Kid Sewing


 Abby took her first sewing class this month! She was so excited to go and I was excited for her.  It didn't go quite as planned, though.  They said she would be fine if she could sew a straight line and thread the machine....well,  for Abby that just didn't work.  I think the project was a little too hard for no help, and it was a full class so the teacher's attention was divided.  If I had stayed I think it would have been totally fine but I didn't.  I picked her up in tears. I wasn't the first impression I wanted for her but I learned that it is too early for her to be there by herself.  She had some difficulty threading and was behind everyone else. She doesn't like being the last one finished at anything...not even at school.  I told her we would finish at home, I couldn't help her in the class because I had Reese and a friend with me.
 When we got home, we tried the next day and she lasted about 20 minutes and got frustrated and quit.  About a week later we tried again and finished.  I really just think the project was too hard for her, especially since I wasn't there to help.
 She was so proud of the finished product and took it to school for show and tell the next day!  She is going to keep legos in it, I think.  I might like to make one for myself in cuter fabrics.  It is sort of like a slip cover for a Lowe's 5Q bucket and it has vinyl pockets.
Reese has been insisting on making something since Abby took the class, but always when there is just not enough time to get something together right in that moment.  I need to have several easy projects cut out and ready to go.  I didn't want to put her off anymore so I quickly cut out a tiny pillowcase dress for her doll.  She did great and was supper excited.  It wasn't a perfect shape because I was quickly winging it but she was thrilled and it took all of 30 minutes for her to make.
She wanted to take it to school the next day for Show and Tell and loved it.  Her friends just thought she was bringing a doll and she liked the suspense I think of telling them that she made the dress and THAT was the show and tell.
post signature

No comments: